Saturday, January 06, 2007

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Hum? Oh It's 15 C? - Never Mind

Well, here it is January and we are basking in double digit temperatures. That's not all that unusual for January except that they are positive double digit temperatures, not negative ones. The grass is green, buds are budding and there isn't a lick of snow, sleet, freezing rain, or slush to be seen anywhere. It's quite a remarkable thing - and whether (weather? :-)) it's caused by El Nino, or global warming, or both - it is somewhat disconcerting, for you see I AM Canadian (apologies to Molson Breweries).

As a Canadian, it is my biological, or at least psychological imperative to complain about the weather at least once an hour (more frequently when wet, cold, and miserable which is how I am supposed to be in January!!!), so this unseasonably warm weather has got me all kefuffled.

How am I supposed to complain about spring-like days and dry feet? I mean this is almost unconstitutional - moaning about the weather is our national pastime, right up there with being sure that THIS is the year the Leafs will win the Stanley Cup (sorry Dad - not this year). Instead I'm thinking of getting my golf clubs out of Winter storage and hitting the links - it's almost cruel.

So what to complain about... Hmmm - I know - the weather is too good - it's not supposed to be nice, we need snow, (no we don't), it's not Canada without snow (why not?), so let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. Then all will be well with the world and I can get back to moaning and complaining like it's my given right as a Canadian to do.

No comments: