Saturday, April 14, 2007

Blame It On Friday The 13th


(Photo by procsilas)

Ever have one of those days? You know the ones I mean - you wake up (late), get dressed, wear your breakfast, get changed, rush out to the bus (you are even later now) into a snow/rain storm (forgot the umbrella but will miss the bus if you go back for it), get wet, get to work and then the day gets worse? Computer glitches, coffee pot goes on the fritz (OMG - what do you mean there's NO caffeine?), and you get swamped by work and none of it goes well? You misunderstand everything people are saying to you, and that meeting you were supposed to be at started 30 minutes ago without you? Then you wear your food at lunch - (white shirt + tomato sauce = law of physics), and the afternoon goes just as poorly as the morning? You know - it's one of those "I should have stayed in bed days".

Well I had one of those days yesterday, but guess what? It wasn't my fault - it was Friday the 13th's fault. The PsyBlog has an intersting post "Is Friday the Thirteenth Unlucky?". In it the many origins of Friday the 13th are mentioned as are several research studies both supporting and debunking the notion that Friday the 13ths are unlucky. No definitive conclusion is stated, but after the day I had yesterday, I can tell you first hand that Friday the 13th is unlucky. I mean none of yesterday's disasters could actually be my fault. Could they? Hmmm...

No comments: