Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Goodbye Textbooks - Hello Open Source Learning

This video is of Richard Baraniuk, an engineering professor and founder of Connexions, an Open Source environment for collaboratively developing, freely sharing, and rapidly publishing scholarly content on the Web (from the Connexions Web site). It is a very cool approach to creating and sharing learning resources and environments. The video is one of the many amazing videos from Ted.com, another incredible site. Check it out.



I am in the process of looking at "liberating" my courses from textbooks, and replacing them with the more immediate resources of the Web, Web 2.0 and tools like connexions.

Take a look at the video, and let me know what you think. Am I on the right track? Are textbooks an obsolete form of information sharing, particularly with today's "Millennials". Who should be creating and delivering content - learners or me? How should that content be delivered? As you can see - more questions than answers...

2 comments:

randommind said...

I'd love to see some collaborative text-writing projects on wikis at our college. Imagine the different that would make for learners. Imagine if they could write & rewrite their own text, share their own examples & add their own work. What a powerful way to learn.

Dr. Ian H. MacLeod, EdD,CD said...

I plan on trying just that this Fall. The idea will be to take one of my second year programming courses and deliver it without a formal textbook, but rather with a wiki-based resource collaboratively developed by the learners.

Stay tuned and I will let you know how it goes...