Sunday, April 12, 2009

Strengths Advocate Training - Gallup University Omaha - Travel Day...

Greetings from Omaha!! Today was your basic 12 hour travel day from Halifax to Omaha (ever notice how no matter how far you have to travel by air, it always seems to be at least a 12 hour travel day? Hmmm...).

Left Halifax this morning in fog and drizzle - arrived at OHare in Chicago in sunshine and 50 F - about the same here in Omaha (well it's night now, but you get the idea). My Lounge access card was denied in Chicago (thank you United and Air Canada), the same card I have used to access the lounge for years (I'll be sorting that out before the return trip). So it was a poor Boingo paid for wireless access in the terminal that wouldn't let me access anything Google or Facebook (hard to type when rocking back and forth in the fetal position muttering "it won't connect!, it won't connect!). Also my first trip to the USA with my new iPhone and I'm singularly umimpressed with the AT&T service - 3G wouldn't let me connect to either GMail or my college e-mail, something I never have an issue with at home - the iPhone experiment continues...

Arrived early in Omaha and am now firmly ensconced in the Embassy Suites Downtown/Old Market. Strengths Advocate training begins Tuesday - tomorrow is decompress and acclimatize day maybe a trip to the zoo to see Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom (I can hear Marlin Perkins telling us what danger Jim is in - Jim just never learned... :-)). The Old Market District here in Omaha is very eclectic too (for those of you home think Historic properties but much bigger and less Maritime and with lots of funky stores and entertainment). Hmmm...

(Picture from Omaha Convention and Visitors Bureau)

No comments: