Saturday, June 16, 2007

STLHE 2007 - A Few Quick Parting Thoughts

The formal conference is now over, but now begins the digestion and reflection of the last few days. It has been a jammed packed, intensive, transformational experience and I am so glad to have been a part of it. I'm sure I will will realize just how much I have learned in a few days or week, but for now I just wanted to get down a few points:
  • We are doing good things at NSCC - we stack up well against all of the universities and colleges that were here and in fact are ahead of many in areas like learning-centredness, facilitation, and portfolio learning
  • The teaching and learning community in Canada is very open, collaborative, sharing, and down to Earth. I have never seen so many academics relaxed and enjoying themselves
  • The level of scholarship in Canada is high, and NSCC is right up there
  • I am doing far more right things in my classrooms than wrong things
  • Web 2.0 and social networking are having a profound effect on post-secondary teaching and learning and will cause a fundamental paradigm shift as institutions adapt to serving the Millennials
  • I cannot recommend coming to STLHE highly enough - if you are an adult educator, you must attend
  • I would love to come back to a future STLHE, as a presenter showing off some of the things that we are doing at NSCC (that's my shameless plug for a return trip to STLHE)
All week here at the University of Alberta we have been serenaded by raucous flocks of jays, so I thought it appropriate to give the jays the last word...

No comments: