Wednesday, January 04, 2023

Looking Back, Looking Forward

Here we are a few years into Year 4 of the Virus 20s (The Roaring Covids?) and time to look back at the past year and forward to this one.

The pandemic is still with us, with XBB. 1.5.5 the latest variant to be concerned about. This lovely genetic marvel apparently evades current vaccines so it's life as new normal - boosters, masks, social distancing and being just plain careful. For the anti-vaxxers and Covid deniers, good luck!

Looking Back:

  • We lost the Queen, a profound loss for millions. As someone who holds the Queen's Commission, I will miss her dearly. Her passing is the end of an age.
  • Covid continued doing its thing, I am so used to wearing a mask now when out, I feel incomplete without it.
  • Completed my first full year as a senior citizen and am really liking all those discounts - shopping is planned around Seniors' Days now...
  • I became one of tens of thousands of Nova Scotians without a family physician when mine tragically passed away. Dr. Marsh, you are missed.
  • Started my consultancy, Birch Hollow Consulting, hoping to be able to help folks and pass on my many years of experience in leadership, change, teaching and learning and education. Check out my professional Blog - Thoughts From the Field.
  • Blue Jays didn't win the World Series, again but always next year. We won't mention the Leafs...
  • We may have seen the end of Trumpism - the fall midterm elections didn't really go the GOPs way and there are even some Republicans distancing themselves from him - even his announcement of another presidential run landed with a meh.
Looking Forward
  • We're all going to have to get used to saying King Charles and remembering that is now "God Save the King".
  • As this year begins and we see the mess that is the start of the 118th Congress, I am wondering if we are seeing the end of the Republican Party? 
  • Sometime this year there will be a Speaker of the House
  • I hope to get a family physician in 2023, in the meantime, it's walk-in clinics and emergency departments - not the best way to run a health care system, but what we have is still better than most.
  • I remain eternally optimistic that the Blue Jays will again make the playoffs and this year go farther. As for the Leafs...
  • Climate Change continues to be a headline. It's four days into the New Year and we have yet to see below 0C temperatures (there is a promise of messy weather tomorrow). This keeps up and I may think of planting palm trees in the back yard.
  • Nothing will change for me on the Covid front - I will continue to be boostered, will wear a mask most everywhere and keep my distance from folks, even those I like.
Whatever happens in 2023 here's hoping the good outweighs the bad and that joy and happiness outweighs woe and sorrow in our lives. Have a great one!


No comments: