Tuesday, January 17, 2023

My Recent Great Healthcare Experience At the Valley Regional

 There has been a lot written and said about the healthcare system in Nova Scotia, most not good and many would say well deserved. The Premier has promised to fix it, but it remains in a state that no one could call good. Two recent tragic deaths while waiting for ER care, for which there can be no excuses, have again brought the issues to the forefront. There are systemic, administrative and bureaucratic issues that must be resolved

I recently had a health issue (I'm better and on the mend) that resulted in me being transported to the Valley Regional Hospital in Kentville via ambulance. I then spent most of 4.5 days in the hospital. This post is about my experience with our healthcare system from the perspective of the wonderful people I interacted with. I'll have more to say about the system itself in a future post

It was an amazing experience. From the arrival of the paramedics (one even checked in with me a day later to see how I was), to being cared for on arrival at the hospital and to my stay in the hospital, I received nothing but the best care from an amazing team of professional, engaged and carrying paramedics, nurses, technicians, doctors, volunteers and support staff who focus was solely on getting me well. Thank you to each and everyone of you, you are true heroes.

It was obvious though that they are all beyond busy and working in an environment that must be beyond stressful - ER rooms set up to hold patients, the need to always be in PPE and working with a full facility. I can only imagine the stresses of the past three years and I commend our healthcare workers for their dedication, passion and perseverance. It could not have been easy.

There may be many things not right with our healthcare system, but there is nothing wrong with the frontline individuals responsible for the great care we receive. They do amazing work every day and I cannot thank them enough...


Image by DilokaStudio on Freepik


No comments: